Dublin City Comic Con Anime Edition has come and gone, and I’m decompressing from it all. Trying to quantify, correlate, and find the words to describe all that I saw and experienced. I’m going to have to divide it up into parts just so I can do justice to the Con.
You’ll probably want to go get a cup of tea or coffee before you buckle yourself in as this is going to be a long one.
It was a frantic weekend, but a brilliant weekend. I filled up my memory card with photos, video and interviews… And in typical Man Cave style a good chunk is unusable due to either bad sound, people photo bombing or plain old shaky hands syndrome.
Protips for moving forward:
- When taking a photo, check photo before moving on.
- When doing an audio recording, do a test recording first.
- Note to self, stop drinking so much coffee.
I hope I salvaged enough to give you a feel for how good the Con was, and I hope you forgive my rookie mistakes. So with that being said, lets move on…
I was able to attend the guest panel Press meeting which consisted of (both Brent Spiner and Tara Strong weren’t in attendance as they had prior engagements):
- DC Douglas (Legion from Mass Effect 2&3, Albert Wesker from Resident Evil, Chase from Transformers Rescue Bots, Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans)
- Kira Buckland (Power Puff Girls, Blue Exorcist, Nier: Automata, Sailor Moon, Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans)
- Eric Stuart (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dinosaur King, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Seth Gilliam (whose film and tv credits include Starship Troopers, Oz, The Wire and The Walking Dead)
…and I was lucky enough to get a few minutes with DC Douglas.
I hadn’t quite realised just how tall of a man DC Douglas was prior to meeting him.
As for the con itself, it was hosted in its traditional home of the Dublin Convention Centre located on the Dublin Docklands.
As it was the first ‘Anime Edition’ of Comic Con’s in Dublin, it spanned the entire ground and first floor of the Convention Centre.
The ground floor consisted of exhibitor/ trade hall, the cosplay village and photo sets. Personally, I wish I was a richer man, as there were so many goodies on offer from vendors. There was Asian treats from vendors such as Minamofoods and Kantanliving. Comics, graphic novels, figurines, toys and Gundams were available from vendors such as Dublin City Comics & Collectables, Big Bang Comics and Planet Minifigures to name a few….
… And there were cosplay and ancillary items available from vendors such as Hogwarts Wands, Otakuninja, Viking Drinking Horns, and The Cosplay Village to name a few.
Oh god it’s a good thing I don’t have a credit card, and that they don’t accept children as payment …
– from The Man Cave